The War That Saved My Life
Buy Online Now
Sad yet triumphant, this historical novel is set in England at the beginning of World War II. It is a great book on many levels and is a real page turner – I read it in 2 sittings, a total of about 4 hours.
It tells the tale of two young siblings, Ada and Jamie, who live with their spiteful and sadistic mother, Mam, in a poor neighborhood in London. With war imminent children are being evacuated to the country. Mam is a wretched and spiteful woman who seems to take particular pleasure in verbally and physically abusing Ada who has a clubbed foot.
• A Newbery Honor Book 2016
• Winner of the Schneider Family Book Award (Middle School)
• Winner of the Josette Frank Award
• Wall Street Journal Best Children’s Books of 2015
• New York Public Library’s 100 Books for Reading and Sharing
• Chicago Public Library’s Best of the Best Books 2015
• Publishers Weekly Best Books of 2015
• Kirkus Best Books of 2015
• Horn Book Fanfare Book 2015
“Achingly lovely . . . Nuanced and emotionally acute, this vivid tale from the wartime home front will have readers ages 10-14 wincing at Ada’s stumbles and rejoicing to the point of tears in her victories.” – The Wall Street Journal
|Author||Kimberly Brubaker Bradley|
|For Ages||9 to 12 years|
|Awards||Newbery Honor Book|
Enter Our Monthly Book Giveaway Contest
Join our email list to learn hear about great books for kids of all ages and you'll be entered automatically each month to win a book.